Athanasios Synarellis1 / Pantelis Kouros1 / Elisabeth Koulaouzidou1 / Dimitrios Strakas1 / Eugenia Koliniotou-Koumpia1
1School of Dentistry, Department of Operative Dentistry, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Background: The aim of this in vitro study was to compare the degree of microleakage on enamel and dentin margins of class V cavities prepared with either a high-speed drill or an Er,Cr:YSGG laser (2780 nm) and to associate their use with a beveling method for the margin.
Method and Materials: Sixty bovine incisors were randomly distributed into three groups. Group 1 (G1) cavities were laser prepared and bur beveled, group 2 (G2) cavities were bur prepared and beveled, while cavities of group 3 (G3) were laser prepared and beveled. Cavities were restored with selective enamel etching, using the same bonding agent and nano-hybrid resin composite for all groups. After thermocycling, microleakage was assessed using a methylene blue dye penetration method.
Results: Statistical analysis (Mann-Whitney, Kruskal-Wallis and post-hoc Dunn’s multiple comparison tests) demonstrated significantly higher microleakage for dentin compared to enamel margins in G1. Enamel margin microleakage was found to be significantly higher at G3 compared to G1 (p=0.032) and G2 (p=0.001), while no significant differences were found between G1 and G2 (p=0.850). Regarding dentin margins, G2 group performed significantly better than G1 and G3 (p<<0.001), while there was no significant difference among G1 and G3 scores (p=1.000).
Conclusions: The conventional cavity preparation method seems to perform better in terms of microleakage than the Er,Cr;YSGG laser. Laser-prepared cavities could perform better in terms of microleakage if an additional step of enamel bur-beveling is performed prior to restoration.
- Baghalian A, Nakhjavani YB, Hooshmand T, Motahhary P, Bahramian H. Microleakage of Er:YAG laser and dental bur prepared cavities in primary teeth restored with different adhesive restorative materials. Lasers Med Sci, 2013; 28:1453-1460.[Crossref] [Web of Science]
- Lima AF, Soares GP, Vasconcellos PH, Ambrosano GM, Marchi GM, Lovadino JR, Aguiar FH. Effect of surface sealants on microleakage of Class II restorations after thermocycling and long-term water storage. J Adhes Dent, 2011; 13:249-254.[Web of Science]
- Yaman BC, Guray BE, Dorter C, Gomeç Y, Yazıcıoglu O, Erdilek D. Effect of the erbium:yttrium-aluminum-garnet laser or diamond bur cavity preparation on the marginal microleakage of class V cavities restored with different adhesives and composite systems. Lasers Med Sci, 2012; 27:785-794.[Web of Science] [Crossref]
- Korkmaz FM, Baygin O, Tuzuner T, Bagis B, Arslan I. The effect of an erbium, chromium: yttrium-scandium-gallium-garnet laser on the microleakage and bond strength of silorane and micro-hybrid composite restorations. Eur J Dent, 2013; 7:33-40.[Crossref]
- Costa Pfeifer CS, Braga RR, Cardoso PE. Influence of cavity dimensions, insertion technique and adhesive system on microleakage of Class V restorations. J Am Dent Assoc, 2006; 137:197-202.[Crossref]
- Pashley DH, Carvalho RM. Dentine permeability and dentine adhesion. J Dent, 1997; 25:355-372.[Crossref]
- Van Meerbeek B, De Munck J, Yoshida Y, Inoue S, Vargas M, Vijay P, Van Landuyt K, Lambrechts P, Vanherle G. Buonocore memorial lecture. Adhesion to enamel and dentin: current status and future challenges. Oper Dent, 2003; 28:215-235.
- Trelles K, Arnabat J, España-Tost T. Microleakage in Class V cavities with self-etching adhesive system and conventional rotatory or laser Er,Cr:YSGG. Laser Ther, 2012; 21:255-268.[Crossref]
- Aranha AC, Turbino ML, Powell GL, Eduardo Cde P. Assessing microleakage of class V resin composite restorations after Er:YAG laser and bur preparation. Lasers Surg Med, 2005; 37:172-177.[Crossref]
- Moldes VL, Capp CI, Navarro RS, Matos AB, Youssef MN, Cassoni A. In vitro microleakage of composite restorations prepared by Er:YAG/Er,Cr:YSGG lasers and conventional drills associated with two adhesive systems. J Adhes Dent, 2009; 11:221-229.
- Gokcelik A, Ozel Y, Ozel E, Arhun N, Attar N, Firatli S, Firatli E. The influence of Er:YAG laser conditioning versus self-etching adhesives with acid etching on the shear bond strength of orthodontic brackets. Photomed Laser Surg, 2007; 25:508-512.[Crossref][Web of Science]
- Korkmaz Y, Ozel E, Attar N, Bicer CO, Firatli E. Microleakage and scanning electron microscopy evaluation of all-in-one self-etch adhesives and their respective nanocomposites prepared by erbium:yttrium-aluminum-garnet laser and bur. Lasers Med Sci, 2010; 25:493-502.[Web of Science] [Crossref]
- Navarro RS, Gouw-Soares S, Cassoni A, Haypek P, Zezell DM, de Paula Eduardo C. The influence of erbium:yttrium-aluminum-garnet laser ablation with variable pulse width on morphology and microleakage of composite restorations. Lasers Med Sci, 2010; 25:881-889.[Crossref]
- Corona SA, Souza-Gabriel AE, Chinelatti MA, Pécora JD, Borsatto MC, Palma-Dibb RG. Influence of energy and pulse repetition rate of Er:YAG laser on enamel ablation ability and morphological analysis of the laser-irradiated surface. J Biomed Mater Res A, 2008; 84:569-575.[Crossref] [Web of Science]
- Celik EU, Ergücü Z, Türkün LS, Türkün M. Shear bond strength of different adhesives to Er:YAG laser-prepared dentin. J Adhes Dent, 2006; 8:319-325.
- Ceballos L, Toledano M, Osorio R, Tay FR, Marshall GW. Bonding to Er:YAG laser-treated dentin. J Dent Res, 2002; 8:119-122.[Crossref]
- Esteves-Oliveira M, Zezell DM, Apel C, Turbino ML, Aranha AC, Eduardo Cde P, Gutknecht N. Bond strength of self-etching primer to bur cut, Er,Cr:YSGG, and Er:YAG lased dental surfaces. Photomed Laser Surg, 2007; 25:373-380.[Crossref] [Web of Science]
- Sennou HE, Lebugle AA, Grégoire GL. X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy study of the dentin-glass ionomer cement interface. Dent Mater, 1999; 15:229-237.[Crossref]
- Yassen GH, Platt JA, Hara AT. Bovine teeth as substitute for human teeth in dental research: a review of literature. J Oral Sci, 2011; 53:273-282.[Crossref]
- Reeves GW, Fitchie JG, Hembree JH Jr, Puckett AD. Microleakage of new dentin bonding systems using human and bovine teeth. Oper Dent, 1995; 20:230-235.
- Almeida KG, Scheibe KG, Oliveira AE, Alves CM, Costa JF. Influence of human and bovine substrate on the microleakage of two adhesive systems. J Appl Oral Sci, 2009; 17:92-96.[Crossref] [Web of Science]
- Owens BM, Halter TK, Brown DM. Microleakage of tooth-colored restorations with a beveled gingival margin. Quintessence Int, 1998; 29:356-361.
- Fattah T, Kazemi H, Fekrazad R, Assadian H, Kalhori KA. Er,Cr:YSGG laser influence on microleakage of class V composite resin restorations. Lasers Med Sci, 2013; 28:1257-1262.[Crossref] [Web of Science]
- Van Meerbeek B, Peumans M, Poitevin A, Mine A, Van Ende A, Neves A, De Munck J. Relationship between bond strength tests and clinical outcomes. Dent Mater, 2010; 26:e100-121.[Web of Science] [Crossref]
- Shahabi S, Ebrahimpour L, Walsh LJ. Microleakage of composite resin restorations in cervical cavities prepared by Er,Cr:YSGG laser radiation. Aust Dent J, 2008; 53:172-175.[Web of Science] [Crossref]
- Yazici AR, Yıldırım Z, Antonson SA, Kilinc E, Koch D, Antonson DE, Dayangaç B, Ozgünaltay G. Comparison of the Er,Cr:YSGG laser with a chemical vapour deposition bur and conventional techniques for cavity preparation: a microleakage study. Lasers Med Sci, 2012; 27:23-29.[Crossref] [Web of Science]
- Arami S, Shahabi S, Tabatabaie M, Chiniforush N, Morshedi E, Torabi S. Assessing microleakage of composite restorations in class V cavities prepared by Er:YAG laserirradiation or diamond bur. J Conserv Dent, 2014; 17:216-219.[Crossref]
- Baygin O, Korkmaz FM, Arslan I. Effects of different types of adhesive systems on the microleakage of compomer restorations in Class V cavities prepared by Er,Cr:YSGG laser in primary teeth. Dent Mater J, 2012; 31:206-214.[Web of Science] [Crossref]
- Corona SA, Borsatto MC, Pecora JD, De SA Rocha RA, Ramos TS, Palma-Dibb RG. Assessing microleakage of different class V restorations after Er:YAG laser and bur preparation. J Oral Rehabil, 2003; 30:1008-1014.[Crossref]
- Ozel E, Korkmaz Y, Attar N, Bicer CO, Firatli E. Leakage pathway of different nano-restorative materials in class V cavities prepared by Er:YAG laser and bur preparation. Photomed Laser Surg, 2009; 27:783-789.[Web of Science] [Crossref]
- Bahrololoomi Z, Heydari E. Assessment of Tooth Preparation via Er:YAG Laser and Bur on Microleakage of Dentin Adhesives. J Dent (Tehran), 2014; 11:172-178.
- Ceballos L, Osorio R, Toledano M, Marshall GW. Microleakage of composite restorations after acid or Er-YAG laser cavity treatments. Dent Mater, 2001; 17:340-346.[Crossref]
- Armengol V, Jean A, Enkel B, Assoumou M, Hamel H. Microleakage of class V composite restorations following Er:YAG and Nd:YAP laser irradiation compared to acid-etch: an in vitro study. Lasers Med Sci, 2002; 17:93-100.[Crossref]
- Bertrand MF, Semez G, Leforestier E, Muller-Bolla M, Nammour S, Rocca JP. Er:YAG laser cavity preparation and composite resin bonding with a single-component adhesive system: relationship between shear bond strength and microleakage. Lasers Surg Med, 2006; 38:615-623.[Crossref]
- Marotti J, Geraldo-Martins VR, Bello-Silva MS, de Paula Eduardo C, Apel C, Gutknecht N. Influence of etching with erbium, chromium:yttrium-scandium-gallium-garnet laser on microleakage of class V restoration. Lasers Med Sci, 2010; 25:325-329.[Crossref]
- Muhammed G, Dayem R. Evaluation of the microleakage of different class V cavities prepared by using Er:YAG laser, ultrasonic device, and conventional rotary instruments with two dentin bonding systems (an in vitro study). Lasers Med Sci, 2015; 30:969-975.[Crossref] [Web of Science]
- Esteves-Oliveira M, Carvalho WL, Eduardo Cde P, Zezell DM. Influence of the additional Er:YAG laser conditioning step on the microleakage of class V restorations. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater, 2008; 87:538-543.[Crossref]
- Quo BC, Drummond JL, Koerber A, Fadavi S, Punwani I. Glass ionomer microleakage from preparations by an Er/YAG laser or a high-speed handpiece. J Dent, 2002; 30:141-146.[Crossref]
- Pashley DH, Tay FR. Aggressiveness of contemporary self-etching adhesives. Part II: etching effects on unground enamel. Dent Mater, 2001; 17:430-444.[Crossref]
- Ibarra G, Vargas MA, Armstrong SR, Cobbb DS. Microtensile bond strength of self-etching adhesives to ground and unground enamel. J Adhes Dent, 2002; 4:115-124.
- Hossain M, Nakamura Y, Yamada Y, Murakami Y, Matsumoto K. Microleakage of composite resin restoration in cavities prepared by Er,Cr:YSGG laser irradiation and etched bur cavities in primary teeth. J Clin Pediatr Dent, 2002; 26:263–268.[Crossref]
- Ekworapoj P, Sidhu SK, McCabe JF. Effect of different power parameters of Er,Cr:YSGG laser on human dentine. Lasers Med Sci, 2007; 22:175-182.[Web of Science] [Crossref]
- Phanombualert J, Chimtim P, Heebthamai T, Weera-Archakul W. Microleakage of Self-Etch Adhesive System in Class V Cavities Prepared by Using Er:YAG Laser with Different Pulse Modes. Photomed Laser Surg, 2015; 33:467-472.[Crossref] [Web of Science]
- Delme KI, Deman PJ, De Moor RJ. Microleakage of class V resin composite restorations after conventional and Er:YAG laser preparation. J Oral Rehabil, 2005; 32:676-685.[Crossref]
- Delmé KI, Deman PJ, De Bruyne MA, Nammour S, De Moor RJ. Microleakage of glass ionomer formulations after erbium:yttrium-aluminium-garnet laser preparation. Lasers Med Sci, 2010; 25:171-180.[Web of Science] [Crossref]
Citation Information: Balkan Journal of Dental Medicine. Volume 21, Issue 1, Pages 24–31, ISSN (Online) 2335-0245, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/bjdm-2017-0004, March 2017