1Eduardo Anitua Foundation, Vitoria, Spain
Background: The first cases of bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw (BRONJ) were reported in 2003. Since then number of possible treatments have been proposed.
Case report: We report a case of a 50-year-old patient with bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw (BRONJ). The treatment included resection of necrotic bone and the application of plasma rich in growth factors (PRGF®-Endoret®). We closed the ulcer in the soft tissue and the treated bone was regenerated one year later. Finally the regenerated area was rehabilitated with dental implants.
Conclusion: Resection followed by PRGF® -Endoret® was successful in promoting closure of the wound and the recovery of nerve function.
- Marx RE. Pamidronate (Aredia) and zoledronate (Zometa) induced avascular necrosis of the jaws: a growing epidemic. J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 2003; 61:1115-1117.
- Novince CM, Ward BB, McCauley LK. Osteonecrosis of the jaw: an update and review of recommendations. Cell Tiss Organ, 2009; 189:275-283.
- European Medicines Agency (EMEA). Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP). EMEA/CHMP assessment report on bisphosphonates and osteonecrosis of the jaw. EMEA/CHMP/291125/2009.
- Otto S, Hafner S, Grotz KA. The role of inferior alveolar nerve involvement in bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw. J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 2009; 67:589-592.
- Yu W, Wang J, Yin J. Platelet-rich plasma: a promising product for treatment of peripheral nerve regeneration after nerve injury. Int J Neurosci, 2011; 121:176-180.[Web of Science]
- Anitua E, Prado R, Orive G. A lateral approach for sinus elevation using PRGF technology. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res, 2009; 11:e23-e31.[Crossref]
- Freiberger JJ, Feldmeier JJ. Evidence supporting the use of hyperbaric oxygen in the treatment of osteoradionecrosis of the jaw. J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 2010; 68:1903-1906.
- Ruggiero SL, Dodson TB, Assael LA, Landesberg R, Marx RE, Mehrotra B. American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons position paper on bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaws—2009 update. J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 2009; 67:2-12.[Web of Science]
- Mozzati M, Gallesio G, Arata V, Pol R, Scoletta M. Platelet rich therapies in the treatment of intravenous bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw: a report of 32 cases. Oral Oncol, 2012; 48:469-474.[Web of Science] [Crossref]
- Mozzati M, Arata V, Gallesio G. Tooth extraction in patients on zoledronicacid therapy. Oral Oncol, 2012; 48:817-821.[Crossref]
- Anitua E, Zalduendo M, Troya M, Orive G. PRGF exerts a cytoprotective role in zoledronic acid-treated oral cells. Clin Oral Investig, 2016;20 :513-521.[Web of Science]
Citation Information: Balkan Journal of Dental Medicine. Volume 21, Issue 1, Pages 55–59, ISSN (Online) 2335-0245, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/bjdm-2017-0008, March 2017