Stylianos Dalampiras1 / Georgios-Alexandros Vakirtzian2 / Foivos-Antonios Dalampiras3 / Maria Dalampira4
1Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Associates,Greece
2Dental School of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Gamveta 75 GR – 54642, Thessaloniki,Greece
4Dental School of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki,Greece
Aim: To stress the importance of surgical planning when treating large dentigerous cysts.
Case Report: In a routine radiographic examination, a dentigerous cyst was revealed in a 20 years old male. A surgical approach that ensured the integrity of the inferior alveolar nerve (IAN) was applied. The incision was exceeded to the mesial surface of the first molar in order to create adequate surgical field and visibility. The final result was that the exposed nerve was protected successfully.
Conclusion: This case shows the necessity of a meticulous preparation, even in routine operations.
- Ko KSC, Dover DG, Jordan RCK. Bilateral dentigerous cysts: report of an unusual case and review of the literature. J Can Dent Assoc, 1999; 65:49-51.
- Abramowicz S, Padwa BL. Pediatric head and neck tumors, benign lesions. In: Bagheri SC, Bell RB, Khan HA (eds). Current therapy in oral and maxillofacial surgery. Chap. 92. St Louis: Elsevier Saunders, 2012; pp 813-820.
- Daley TD, Pringle GA. Relative incidence of odontogenic tumors and oral and jaw cysts in a Canadian population. Oral Sur Oral Med Oral Pathol, 1994; 77:276-280.
- Kramer IRH, Pindborg JJ, Shear M. Histological typing of odontogenic tumors. 2nd ed. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer Verlag; 1992; pp 36-37.
- Worrall SF. Avoiding and managing complications in minor oral surgery: In Booth PW, Schendel SA, Hausamen JE (eds). Maxillofacial Surgery. Vol 2. 2nd ed. Edinburg: Churchill Livingstone, 1999; pp 1591-1610.
- Pedlar J, Frame JW. Oral and maxillofacial surgery an objective based textbook. 1st ed. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, 2001; pp 49-69.
- Goodger NM, Hendy CW. Cystic lesions of the jaws. In: Andersson L, Kahnberg KE, Pogrel AM (eds). Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Oxford: Wiley Blackwell Pub, 2010; p 623.
Citation Information: Balkan Journal of Dental Medicine. Volume 20, Issue 3, Pages 178–181, ISSN (Online) 2335-0245, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/bjdm-2016-0029, November 2016