1Department of Prosthetic dentistry Faculty of Dental Medicine Medical University of Sofia, Sofia, 1 St.Georgi Sofiiski str. 1431 Sofia,Bulgaria
Nowadays in the aesthetic dentistry concepts, techniques, and materials which aim is to establish new smiles with minimally invasive approaches and maximum natural effect on the restorations and in the same time to restore the mastication and phonetics for a better quality of life are used. However, the patient’s demands and the level of information has driven the profession to a certain questioning respecting the treatment customization especially those related to treatment planning according to the individual psychological characteristics of each patient, that if ignored, may lead to esthetically dissatisfaction, even though all the esthetic rules which tend to establish standards were incorporated.
The purpose of this article is to show that besides the esthetic rules established throughout the time, the emotional expression of the treatment, represented by the shapes and lines constituent of a smile, should also be taken into consideration during the treatment planning. Softwares for personalized smile design could be powerful tool for planning such new smile designs.
- Chu St. A Biometric Approach To Predictable Treatment Of Clinical Crown Discrepancies. Pract Proced Aesthet Dent, 2007; 19:401-409.
- Lombard R. The principles of visual perception and thе clinical application to denture aesthetics. J Prosthet Dent,1973; 29:358-382. [Crossref]
- Brisman А, Esthetics: a comparison of dentists’ and patients’ concepts. JADA, 1980; 100:345-52.
- Paolucci B, Calamita M, Coachman Ch, Gurel G, Shaider A, Hallawell Ph. Visagism: The art of dental composition. Quintess Dent Technol 2012; 35:187-201.
- Feraru M, Bichacho N, Muzella V. Individualizing a smile makeover. Current strategies for predictable results. J Cosmet Dent, 2016: 32:109-119.
- Hallawell P. Visagismo: Harmoniae Estética. SãoPaulo: Senac, 2003.
- Wolfrat S, Menzel H, Kern M. Inability to relate tooth form to face shapes and gender. J Oral Sci, 2004; 112:471-476.
- Iliev G, Pavlova J, Filtchev D, Rangelov S, Kocheva B, Dimova M, Nasif-Macci S, Filchev A. Types of dominance in frontal teeth in natural permanent dentition. Dent Med, 2015; 97:122-132.
- Coachman Ch, Calamita MC. Digital Smile Design: A Tool for Treatment Planning and Communication in Esthetic Dentistry. Quintess Dent Technol, 2012; 35:103-111.
- Gurel G, Bichacho N. Permanent diagnostic provisional restorations for predictable results when redesigning the smile. Pract Proced Aesthet Dent, 2006; 18:281-286.
- Gurel G. The Science & Art of Laminate Veneers. Quintess, 2005.
- Gurel G, Morimoto S, Calamita MA, Coachman C, Sesma N. Clinical Performance of Porcelain Laminate Veneers: Outcomes of the Aesthetic Pre-evaluative Temporary (APT) Technique. Int J Periodont Rest Dent, 2012; 32:625-635.
- Gurel G, Marcelo N, Calamita M, Coachman C, Morimoto S. Influence of Enamel Preservation on Failure Rates of Porcelain Laminate Veneers. Int J Periodont Rest Dent, 2013; 33:30-39.
- White J. Temperament in relation to the teeth. Dent Cosmos, 1884; 26:113-120.
- Williams J. A new classification of human teeth with special reference to a new system of artificial teeth. Dent Cosmos, 1914; 52:627-628.
- Baratieri L. Study of morpho-dimentional relationship. QDT, 2012; 35:173-185.
- Chu Jon L, Morante D, Bernabe E, Vich V, Cotrina L. Esthetic perception towards different combinations of facial contours and upper incisor shape. Braz J Oral Sci, 2009; 8:193-196.
- Farias F, Ennes J, Zorzatto, J. Aesthetic Value of the Relationship between the Shapes of the Face and Permanent Upper Central Incisor. Int J Dent, 2010; 2010: Article ID 561957:6.
- Lindemann H, Knauer C, Pfeiffer P. Morphometric relationship between tooth and face shapes. J Oral Rehabilit. 2004,31, (10): 972-978.
- Pedrosa VO, França FMG, Flório FM, Basting RT. Study of the morpho-dimensional relationship between the maxillary central incisors and the face. Braz Oral Res, 2011; 25: 210-216.
- Peixoto Silva F, Freitas de Almedia N, Ferreira D, Mesquita M, Negreiros W. Digitized study of the correlation between the face and tooth shapes in young adult individuals. Braz J Oral Sci, 2007; 6:1383-1386
- Frush JP, Fisher RD. How dentogenic restorations interpret the sex factor. The J Prosthet Dent, 1956; 6:160-172. [Crossref]
- Sellen P, Phila B, Jagger D, Harrison A. Computer-generated study of the correlation between tooth, face, arch forms, and palatal contour. J Prosthet Dent, 1998; 80:163-171. [Crossref]
- Lent R. One Hundred Billion Neurons: Basic Concepts of Neuroscience. 1st edition. Sao Paulo, Brazil: Atheneu, 2004.
Citation Information: Balkan Journal of Dental Medicine. Volume 20, Issue 3, Pages 172–177, ISSN (Online) 2335-0245, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/bjdm-2016-0028, November 2016