Maja Lalić / Irena Melih / Ema Aleksić / Milica Gajić / Katarina Kalevski / Anika Ćuković
Faculty of Stomatology Pancevo, University Business Academy Novi Sad, Novi Sad, Serbia
Background: The aim of this study was to assess the oral health-related quality of life in adult patients who visit the Dental Clinic of the Faculty of Stomatology, Pancevo, using a Serbian version of 14-items Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP14) Questionnaire. Material and Methods: A total of 89 respondents (42 women and 47 men, mean age 52.83 ± 13.74 years) filled in the questionnaire themselves. Three calibrated dentists recorded the oral health status of the respondents (number of healthy, decayed, filled and missing teeth), the type and time of wearing prosthodontic replacements, if they existed, and assessed the need for prosthodontic treatment. The total OHIP-14 score was calculated by adding scores for all fourteen items; OHIP-14 subscale scores were calculated by adding the scores for the two items in each of the seven subscales. Results: Mean total OHIP score was 10.25 ± 8.89. Patients with less than eight extracted teeth, wearers of fixed prosthodontic appliances and patients without replacements who did not need prosthodontic treatment reported better oral health-related quality of life. The most severe oral impacts assessed by the subscale OHIP14 scores were recorded in psychological discomfort (2.44 ± 2.18), physical pain (1.87 ± 1.73) and psychological disability subscale (1.83 ± 1.88). Women more often than men were dissatisfied with their diet and had been irritable in contact with other people. Conclusion: Further studies using the OHIP14 questionnaire in a larger sample will permit identification of key factors related to poor oral health and planning of treatment protocols and preventive programs for the adult population in Serbia.
- McGrath C, Bedi R. The importance of oral health to older people’s quality of life. Gerodontol, 1999;16:59-63.[Crossref]
- John MT, LeResche L, Koepsell TD, Hujoel P, Miglioretti DL, Micheelis W. Oral health-related quality of life in Germany. Eur J Oral Sci, 2003; 111:483-491.[Crossref]
- Shamrany MA. Oral health-related quality of life: a broader perspective. East Mediterr Health J, 2006;12:894-901.
- Hebling E, Pereira AC. Oral health-related quality of life: a critical appraisal of assessment tools used in elderly people. Gerodontol, 2007;24:151-161.[Crossref]
- Slade GD, Spencer AJ: Development and evaluation of the oral health impact profile. Community Dent Health, 1994;11:3-11.
- Slade GD. Derivation and validation of a short-form oral health impact profile Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, 1997;25:284-290.[Crossref]
- Stancic I, Sojic LT, Jelenkovic A. Adaptation of Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP-14) index for measuring impact of oral health on quality of life in elderly to Serbian language. Vojnosanit Pregl, 2009;66:511-515.[Crossref][Web of Science]
- Stančić I, Kulić J, Tihaček-Šojić L, Stojanović Z. Applicability of a Serbian version of the “Oral Impacts on Daily Performance (OIDP)” index – assessment of oral health-related quality of life. Vojnosanit Pregl, 2012;69:175-180.[Web of Science][Crossref]
- Atchison KA, Dolan TA. Development of the Geriatric Oral Health Assessment Index. J Dent Educ, 1990;54:680-687.
- Popović Ž, Gajić I, Obradović-Đuričić K, Milošević D. Uvod u verifikaciju instrumenta GOHAI za merenje oralnozdravstvenog kvaliteta života osoba sa zubnim nadoknadama primenom preliminarne srpske verzije – pilot studija. Vojnosanit Pregl, 2015;72:1055-1062.
- Jović Lj, Doder R. Primena OHIP 14 i GOHAI upitnika u cilju procene uticaja oralnog zdravlja na kvalitet života kod starije populacije. Medicina Danas, 2012;11:186-191.
- Lawrence HP, Thomson WM, Broadbent JM, Poulton R. Oral health-related quality of life in a birth cohort of 32-yearolds. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, 2008;36:305-316.[Crossref]
- Sousa PC, Mendes FM, Imparato JC, Ardenghi TM. Differences in responses to the Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP14) used as a questionnaire or in an interview. Braz Oral Res, 2009;23:358-364.[Crossref]
- Papaioannou W, Oulis CJ, Latsou D, Yfantopoulos J. Oral health-related quality of life of Greek adults: a crosssectional study. Int J Dent, 2011;2011:360292.
- Adams C, Slack-Smith LM, Larson A, O’Grady MJ. Edentulism and associated factors in people 60 years and over from urban, rural and remote Western Australia. Aust Dent J, 2003;48:10-14.[Crossref]
- Mc Grath C, Bedi R, Dhawan N. Factors influencung older people’s self reported use of dental services in the UK. Gerodontol, 1999;16:97-102.[Crossref]
- Slade GD, Sanders AE. The paradox of better subjective oral health in older age. J Dent Res, 2011;90:1279-1285.[Crossref][Web of Science]
- Petersen PE, Yamamoto T. Improving the oral health of older people: the approach of the WHO Global Oral Health Programme. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, 2005;33:81-92.[Crossref]
- Baba K, Inukai M, John MT: Feasibility of oral healthrelated quality of life assessment in prosthodontic patients using abbreviated Oral Health Impact Profile questionnaires. J Oral Rehabil, 2008;35:224-228.[Crossref]
- Brennan DS, Spencer AJ, Roberts-Thomson KF. Tooth loss, chewing ability and quality of life. Qual Life Res, 2008;17:227-235.[Crossref][Web of Science]
- Inukai M, John MT, Igarashi Y, Baba K. Association between perceived chewing ability and oral health-related quality of life in partially dentate patients. Health Qual Life Outcomes, 2010;8:118.
- Nowjack-Raymer RE, Sheiham A: Association of edentulism and diet and nutrition in US adults. J Dent Res, 2002;82:123-126.[Crossref]
- Moynihan P, Bradbury J: Compromised dental function and nutrition. Nutrition, 2001;17:177-178.[Crossref]
- Gasparić LB, Catović A, Komar D, Bergman V, Catić A. Epidemiological study on prosthodontic appliance deliveries within elderly cohorts in the Republic of Croatia, 2002-2006. Coll Antropol, 2009;33:461-465.
- Krunić N, Kostić M, Petrović M, Igić M. Oralno zdravlje i kvalitet života bezubih pacijenata nakon podlaganja totalnih zubnih proteza. Vojnosanit Pregl, 2015;72:307-311.
- Rashid F, Awad MA, Thomason JM, Piovano A, Spielberg GP, Scilingo E et al. The effectiveness of 2-implant overdentures – a pragmatic international multicentre study. J Oral Rehabil, 2011;38:176-184.[Web of Science][Crossref]
- John MT, Slade GD, Szentpétery A, Setz JM. Oral healthrelated quality of life in patients treated with fixed, removable, and complete dentures 1 month and 6 to 12 months after treatment. Int J Prosthodont, 2004;17:503-511.
- Harris D, Höfer S, O’Boyle CA, Sheridan S, Marley J, Benington IC et al. A comparison of implant-retained mandibular overdentures and conventional dentures on quality of life in edentulous patients: a randomized, prospective, within-subject controlled clinical trial. Clin Oral Implants Res, 2013;24:96-103.
- Petricević N, Celebić A, Papić M, Rener-Sitar K. The Croatian version of the Oral Health Impact Profile Questionnaire. Coll Antropol, 2009;33:841-847.
- Rener-Sitar K, Celebić A, Petricević N, Papić M, Sapundzhiev D, Kansky A, et al. The Slovenian version of the Oral Health Impact Profile Questionnaire (OHIP-SVN): translation and psychometric properties. Coll Antropol, 2009;33:1177-1183.
Citation Information: Balkan Journal of Dental Medicine, ISSN (Online) 2335-0245, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/bjdm-2017-0014. Export Citation