1Istanbul University, Faculty of Dentistry, Department of Oral Surgery and Oral Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
2Istanbul University, Faculty of Dentistry, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, Istanbul, Turkey
3Institute of Odontology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Objective: The aim of this study was to evaluate the outcome of immediate postextraction implant placement. Immediate placement of dental implants have been claimed of the potential advantages such as reductions in the number of surgical interventions, a shorter treatment time, an ideal 3-dimensional implant positioning, the presumptive preservation of alveolar bone at the site of the tooth extraction and soft tissue aesthetics.
Method: In this case series we reported to extract 15 teeth in 12 patients (8 males; 4 females, mean age: 46.08 years) and replace the teeth with implants immediately.
Results: There were no signs of inflammation or infection and none of the patients had complaints subsequently. All implants were osseointegrated at the time of abutment connection. Postoperative healing was uneventful in all of the patients. No complications were observed.
Conclusion: Within the limits of the present study, immediate implant placement was a predictable treatment.
Keywords: immediate implant placement
- Buser D, Chen ST, Weber HP, Belser UC. Early implant placement following single-tooth extraction in the esthetic zone: biologic rationale and surgical procedures. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent, 2008; 28:441-451.
- Casap N, Zeltser C, Wexler A, Tarazi E, Zeltser R. Immediate Placement of Dental Implants Into Debrided Infected Dentoalveolar Sockets. J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 2007; 65:384-392. [PubMed]
- Chen S, Wilson Jr TG, Hämmerle CH. Immediate or early placement of implants following tooth extraction: review of biologic basis, clinical procedures, and outcomes. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants, 2004; 19(Suppl):12-25.
- Chih-Long Chen, Chih-Ling Chang, Shih-Jung Lin. Immediate implant placement and provisionalization with simultaneous guided bone regeneration in the esthetic zone. J Dent Sci, 2011; 6:53-60. [Crossref] [Web of Science]
- Chrcanovic BR, Martins MD, Wennerberg A. Immediate Placement of Implants into Infected Sites: A Systematic Review. Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research, 2013; doi: 10.1111/cid.12098 [Crossref]
- Corbella S. Postextraction implant in sites with endodontic infection as an alternative to endodontic retreatment: a review of literature. J Oral Implantol, 2013; 399-405. [Web of Science] [PubMed]
- Jay R. Beagle. The Immediate Placement of Endosseous Dental Implants in Fresh Extraction Sites. Dent Clin N Am, 2006; 50:375-389. [Crossref]
- Lazzara RJ. Immediate implant placement into extraction sites: surgical and restorative advantages. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent, 1989; 9:332-343.
- Lindeboom JAH, Tjiook Y, Kroon FH. Immediate placement of implants in periapical infected sites: A prospective randomized study in 50 patients. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod, 2006; 101:705-710. [Crossref]
- Lindquist LW, Carlsson GE, Jemt T. A prospective 15-year follow-up study of mandibular fixed prosthesis supported by osseointegrated implants. Clinical results and marginal bone loss. Clin Oral Implants Res, 1996; 7:329-336.
- Proussaefs P, Lozada J. Immediate loading of hydroxyapatite-coated implants in the maxillary premolar area: Three-year results of a pilot study. J Prosthet Dent, 2004; 91:228-233. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Rabel A, Köhler SG, Schmidt-Westhausen AM. Clinical study on the primary stability of two dental implant systems with resonance frequency analysis.Clin Oral Inves, 2007;11:257-265.
- Schwartz-Arad D, Chaushu G. The ways and wherefores of immediate placement of implants into fresh extraction sites: a literature review. J Periodontol, 1997; 68(10):915-923. [Crossref]
- Seok-Woo Chang, Seung-Yun Shin, Jong-Rak Hong, Seung-Min Yang, Hyun-Mi Yoo, Dong-Sung Park, Tae-Seok Oh, Seung-Beom Kye. Immediate implant placement into infected and noninfected extraction sockets: a pilot study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod, 2009; 107:197-203.[Web of Science]
Citation Information: Balkan Journal of Dental Medicine. Volume 19, Issue 2, Pages 113–115, ISSN (Online) 2335-0245, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/bjdm-2015-0044, July 2015