Dr. Ivan Ristic1 / Rade D Paravina2
1Department of Prosthetic Dentistry University of Nis, School of Medicine Nis, Radoja Dakica 39, 18000 Nis, Serbia
2Department of Restorative Dentistry and Prosthodontics Center for Biomaterials & Biomimetics University of Texas School of Dentistry at Houston Houston, TX, USA
Objectives: To compare shade matching skills of color normal males and females.
Material and Methods: A total of 174 dental students of both genders (117 females and 57 males, 20 to 25 years old), with no experience in color matching in dentistry, participated in the study. All recruited students passed the Ishihara color vision test for color deficiency, and matched the colors of eight shade tabs using VITA Linearguide 3D-Master shade guide. Standardized lighting conditions were provided using Rite-Lite (Addent Danbury, CT, USA) hand-held shade matching unit. Color differences between the task tabs and selected tabs were calculated using two CIE color difference formulae and students results were evaluated from 10 (for the best match score) to 1 for the 10th best match score. Means and standard deviations were determined. Student’s t-test was used for result analysis (p = .05).
Results: The mean shade matching scores and standard deviations for male and female students were 5.86 (SD 1.38) and 6.10 (SD 1.36), respectively (p = .266). No statistically significant differences in overall and individual target tab scores by gender were recorded.
Conclusion: Within the limitation of this study, it was concluded that gender did not influence color matching quality
- Bergen SF. Color in esthetics. NY State Dent J, 1985; 51:470-471.
- Donahue J, Goodkind R, Schwabacher W, Aeppli D. Shade color discrimination by man and woman. J Prosthet Dent, 1991; 65:699-703. [Crossref]
- Chamberlain GJ, Chamberlain DG. Colour – its measurement, computation and application. 1st ed. London (UK): Heyden, 1980.
- Haddad H, Jakstat H, Arnetzl G, Borbely J, Vichi A, Dumfahrt H, Renault P, Corcodel N, Pohlen B, Marada G, Martinez Vazquez de Parga J, Reshad M, Klinke T, Hannak W, Paravina R. Does gender and experience influence shade matching quality? J Dent, 2009; 37:40-44. [Web of Science] [Crossref]
- Paravina RD. Evaluation of a newly developed visual shade matching apparatus. Int J Prosthodont, 2002; 15:528-534.
- Jasinevicius TR, Curd FM, Schilling L, Sadan A. Shade matching abilities of dental laboratory technicians using a commercial light source. J Prosthodont, 2009; 18:60-63. [Crossref] [Web of Science]
- Curd FM, Jasinevicius TR, Graves A, Cox V, Sadan A. Comparison of the shade matching ability of dental students using two light sources. J Prosthet Dent, 2006; 96:391-396. [Crossref]
- Ishikawa-Nagai S, Yoshida A, Sakai M, Kristiansen J, Da Silva JD. Clinical evaluation of perceptibility of color differences between natural teeth and all-ceramic crowns. J Dent, 2009; 37:57-63. [Crossref]
- Commission Internationale de l’Eclairage (CIE). CIE technical report: colorimetry, CIE Pub No.15.3, 2004.
- Wyszecki G, Stiles WS. Color science: concepts and methods, quantitative data and formulae. 2nd ed. New York (NY): John Wiley & Sons, 2000.
- Sharma G, Wu W, Dalal E. The CIEDE2000 colordifference formula: Implementation notes, supplementary test data, and mathematical observations. Color Res Appl, 2005; 30:21-30. [Crossref]
- Kuehni RG, Marcus RT. An experiment in visual scaling of small colour differences. Color Res Appl, 1979; 4:83-91.
- Ruyter IE, Nilner K, Moller B. Color stability of dental composite resin materials for crown and bridge veneers. Dent Mater, 1987; 3:246-251. [Crossref]
- Seghi RR, Hewlett ER, Kim J. Visual and instrumental colorimetric assessments of small color differences on translucent dental porcelain. J Dent Res, 1989; 68:1760-1764. [Crossref]
- Johnston WM, Kao EC. Assessment of appearance match by visual observation and clinical colorimetry. J Dent Res, 1989; 68:819-822. [Crossref]
- Khashayar G, Bain PA, Salari S. Dozic A, Kleverlaan CJ, Feilzer AJ. Perceptibility and acceptability thresholds for colour differences in dentistry. J Dent, 2014; 42:637-644. [Crossref] [Web of Science]
- Paravina RD, Ghinea R, Herrera LJ, Bona AD, Igiel C, Linninger M, Sakai M, Takahashi H, Tashkandi E. Color Difference Thresholds in Dentistry. J Esthet Restor Dent, 2015; 27:1-9. [Crossref] [Web of Science]
- Ghinea R, Perez MM, Herrera LJ, Rivas MJ, Yebra A, Paravina RD. Color difference thresholds in dental ceramics. J Dent, 2010; 38:57-64. [Crossref]
- Dudea D, Gasparik C, Botos A, Alb F, Irimie A, Paravina RD. Influence of background/ surrounding area on accuracy of visual color matching. Clin Oral Investig, 2015; in press.
- Gokce HS, Piskin B, Ceyhan D, Gokce SM, Arisan V. Shade matching performance of normal and color vision-deficient dental professionals with standard daylight and tungsten illuminants. J Prosthet Dent, 2010; 103:139-147. [Crossref] [Web of Science]
- Amano K, Foster DH. Colour constancy under simultaneous changes in surface position and illuminant. Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington, 2004; 271:2319-2326.
- Ahn JS, Lee YK. Difference in the translucency of allceramics by the illuminant. Dent Mat, 2008; 24:1539-1544.
- Sproull RC, Preston JD. Understanding color. In: Goldstein RE (ed). Esthetics in Dentistry. ed 2. London: BC Decker, 1998.
- Paravina RD, Powers JM. Esthetic Color Training in Dentistry. 1st ed. St. Louis (MO): Elsevier Mosby, 2004.
- Paravina RD. Techniques for improvement of clinical shade matching procedures. PhD Thesis, University of Nis School Medicine, 2000.
- Jaju R, Nagai S, Karimbux N, Da Silva J. Evaluating Tooth Color Matching Ability of Dental Students. J Dent Educ, 2010; 75:1002-1010.
- Goodkind R, Loupe M. Teaching of color in predoctoral and postdoctoral dental education in 1988. J Prosthet Dent, 1992; 67:713-717. [Crossref]
- Ristic I, Stankovic S, Paravina RD. Influence of color education and training on shade matching skills. J Esthet Restor Dent, 2016; in press. [Crossref]
- Colblindor. http://www.color-blindness.com/ishihara-38-plates-cvd-test/, accessed December 5, 2015.
- Perez MM, Ghinea R, Herrera LJ, Ionescu AM, Pomares H, Pulgar R, Paravina RD. Dental ceramics: A CIEDE2000 acceptability thresholds for lightness, chroma and hue differences. J Dent, 2011; 39:37-44. [Crossref] [Web of Science]
- Applebury ML, Hargrave PA. Molecular biology of the visual pigments. Vision Res, 1987; 26:1881-1895. [Crossref]
- Neitz J, Jacobs GH. Polymorphism of the long-wavelength cone in normal human color vision. Nature, 1986; 323:623-625.
- Neitz J, Neitz M, Jacobs GH. More than three different cone pigments among people with normal color vision. Vision Res, 1993; 33:117-122. [Crossref]
- Joiner A. Tooth colour: a review of the literature. J Dent, 2004; 32:3-12. [Crossref]
- Vafaee F, Rakhshan V, Vafaei M, Khoshhal M. Accuracy of shade matching performed by colour blind and normal dental students using 3D Master and Vita Lumin shade guides. Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent, 2012; 20:23-25.
- Cal E, Sonugelen M, Guneri P, Kesercioglu A, Kose T. Application of a digital technique in evaluating the reliability of shade guides. J Oral Rehabil, 2004; 31:483-491. [Crossref]
- Anusavice KJ. Philip’s science of dental materials. 10th ed. Philadelphia: Saunders, 1996.
- Berns RS. Billmeyer and Saltzman’s Principles of Color Technology. 3rd ed. New York (NY): John Wiley & Sons, 2000.
- Paravina RD, Majkic G, Imai FH, Powers JM. Optimization of tooth color and shade guide design. J Prosthodont, 2007; 16:269-276. [Crossref]
- Capa N, Malkondu O, Kazazoglu E, Calikkocaoglu S. Evaluating factors that affect the shade-matching ability of dentists, dental staff members and laypeople. J Am Dent Assoc, 2010; 141:71-76. [Crossref]
- Chu SJ, Devigus A, Paravina RD, Mieleszko AJ. Fundamentals of color: shade matching and communication in esthetic dentistry. 2nd ed. Hanover Park, IL: Quintessence Publishing, 2011.
- Paravina RD, O’Neill PN, Swift EJ, Nathanson D, Goodacre CJ. Teaching of color on predoctoral and postdoctoral dental education in 2009. J Dent, 38s: e34-e40, 2010. [Crossref]
- Clary J, Ontiveros JC, Cron SG, Paravina RD. Influence of light source, polarization, education and training, and sex on shade matching quality. J Prosthet Dent, in press.
Citation Information: Balkan Journal of Dental Medicine. Volume 20, Issue 2, Pages 89–93, ISSN (Online) 2335-0245, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/bjdm-2016-0014, July 2016