Alexandra Martu Maria1 / Irina-Georgeta Ursarescu1 / Sorina Solomon1 / Liliana Foia1
1“Gr.T.Popa” University of Medicine and Pharmacy Faculty of Dental Medicine, Iasi, Romania
The purpose of the study was to assess the effects of LED-PAD and tolonium chloride on periodontal clinical parameters in chronic periodontitis.
Materials and Methods: The study was conducted on patients with chronic periodontitis, divided in 2 groups (study group and control group of patients who, besides the conventional therapy measures, also received PAD therapy). The periodontal clinical parameters were registered at baseline and after 3 months.
Results and Discussions: The post-therapy evaluation revealed significantly improved results of periodontal clinical parameters in the study group, when compared to the control group. Our results support the literature studies conducted on chronic periodontitis patients but without any systemic diseases.
Conclusion: The PAD disinfection determined a significant improvement for the periodontal clinical parameters in patients with periodontal disease.
- Takasaki AA, Aoki A, Mizutani K, Schwartz F, Sculean A, Wang CY, Koshy G, Romanos G, Ishikawa I, Izumi Y. Application of antimicrobial photodynamic therapy in periodontal and peri-implant diseases. Periodontol 2000, 2009; 51:109-140. [Web of Science]
- Wainwright M. Photodynamic antimicrobial chemotherapy (PACT). Antimicrob Chemother, 1998; 42:13-28.
- Soukos NS, Goodson JM. Photodynamic therapy in the control of oral biofilms. Periodontol 2000, 2011; 55: 143-166. [Web of Science]
- Romanova NA, Brovko LY, Moore L, Pometun E, Savitsky AP, Ugarova NN, Griffiths MW. Assessment of photodynamic destruction of Escherichia coli O157:H7 and Listeria monocytogenes by using ATP bioluminescence. Appl Environ Microbiol, 2003; 69:6393-6398.
- Jori G, Fabris C, Soncin M, Ferro S, Coppellotti O, Dei D, Fantetti L, Chiti G, Roncucci G. Photodynamic therapy in the treatment of microbial infections: basic principles and perspective applications. Lasers Surg Med, 2006; 38:468-481.
- Bhatti M, Macrobert A, Meghji S, Henderson B, Wilson M. Effect of dosimetric and physiological factors on the lethal photosensitization of Porphyromonas gingivalis in vitro. Photochem Photobiol, 1998; 68:370-376.
- Usacheva MN, Teichert MC, Biel MA. The interaction of lipopolysaccharides with phenothiazine dyes. Lasers Surg Med, 2001; 29:165-173.
- Andersen R, Loebel N, Hammond D, Wilson MJ. Treatment of periodontal disease by photodisinfection compared to scaling and root planing. Clin Dent, 2007; 18:34-38.
- Braun A, Dehn C, Krause F, Jepsen S. Short-term clinical effects of adjunctive antimicrobial photodynamic therapy in periodontal treatment: a randomized clinical trial. Clin Periodontol, 2008; 35:877-884. [Web of Science]
- Theodoro LH, Silva SP, Pires JR, Soares GH, Pontes AE, Zuza EP, Spolidorio DM, De Toledo BE, Garcia VG. Clinical and microbiological effects of photodynamic therapy associated with nonsurgical periodontal treatment. A 6-month follow-up. Lasers Med Sci, 2011; 27:687-693. [Web of Science]
- Bassir SH, Moslemi N, Jamali R, Mashmouly S, Fekrazad R, Chiniforush N, Shamshiri AR, Nowzari HJ. Photoactivated disinfection using light-emitting diode as an adjunct in the management of chronic periodontitis: a pilot double-blind split-mouth randomized clinical trial. Clin Periodontol, 2013; 40:65-72. [Web of Science]
- Qin Y, Luan X, Bi L, He G, Bai X, Zhou C, Zhang Z. Toluidine blue-mediated photoinactivation of periodontal pathogens from supragingival plaques. Lasers Med Sci, 2008; 23:49-54. [Web of Science]
- Komerik N, Wilson M, Poole S. The effect of photodynamic action on two virulence factors of gram-negative bacteria. Photochem Photobiol, 2000; 72:676-680.
- Ursarescu I-G, Solomon S, Pasarin L, Scutariu M, Martu A, Boatca R-M, Martu S. The effects of LED photo-activated disinfection on periodontal clinical parameters in patients with chronic periodontitis and osteoporosis. E-Health and Bioengineering Conference (EHB), 2013; 1,3:21-23.
Citation Information: Balkan Journal of Dental Medicine. Volume 20, Issue 1, Pages 29–32, ISSN (Online) 2335-0245, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/bjdm-2016-0004, April 2016