1Medical Faculty, Department of Dentistry, Bulevar vojvode Petra Bojovića 2, Banja Luka,Bosnia and Herzegovina
2University of Rijeka, School of Medicine, Department of Oral Medicine and Periodontology,Croatia
Background: Aggressive periodontitis is one of the most severe forms of periodontal disease, resulting in the destruction of junctional epithelium and alveolar bone around teeth in a very short period of time. The early diagnosis of aggressive periodontitis and timely therapy is of outmost importance in controlling the progress of the disease.
Application of the techniques of subgingival air polishing of periodontal pockets (pflow) with glycine powder has contributed to reduce damage to the root surface of the teeth and surrounding soft tissue.
Aim: The goal of this paper was to determine the effectiveness of two different types of subgingival air polishing therapy for the periodontal tissue status at the patients with aggressive periodontitis.
Methods and materials: the study included 46 patients of both sexes diagnosed with aggressive peridontitis. The patients were divided into two groups: test group (PFLOW), and control group (sonic SRP). The size of the destruction of periodontal tissue was estimated by CAL and assessment of oral hygiene and gingival inflammation was performed using FMPS and FMBS.
Results: Monitored indexes values in both groups were reduced.
Conclusion: Subgingival air polishing showed equally good results as the SRP, while pflow was more advantageous with respect to patients acceptability, time usability and safety for the soft tissue.
- Pavlica D, Čakić S. Oralna mikrobiologija. Beograd: Zavod za udžbenike; 2008.
- Albandar JM, Brown LJ, Löe H. Clinical features of earlyonset periodontitis. J A Dent Assoc, 1997; 128:1393-1399.
- Harley AF, Floyd PD. Prevalence of juvenile periodontitis in schoolchildren in Lagos, Nigeria. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, 1988; 16:299-301. [Crossref]
- Chan MC, Hyung KY, Seong NJ. The clinical assessment of aggressive periodontitis patients. J Periodontal Implant Sci, 2011; 41:143-148. [Web of Science] [Crossref]
- Kobayashi T, Nagata T, Murakami S, Takashiba S, Kurihara H, Izumi Y. et al. Genetic risk factors for periodontitis in a Japanese polulation. J Dent Res, 2009; 88:1137-1141. [Crossref]
- de Carvalho FM, Tinoco EMB, Govil M, Marazita ML, Vieira AR. Aggressive periodontitis is likely influenced by a few small effect genes. J Clin Periodontol, 2009; 36:468-473. [Web of Science] [Crossref]
- Tapashetti RP, Sharma S, Patil SR, Guwa S. Potential effect of neutrophil functional disorders on pathogenesis og aggressive periodontitis. J Contemp Dent Pract, 2013; 14:387-393. [Crossref]
- Noack B, Hoffmann T. Aggressive periodontitis. Perio, 2004; 1:335-344.
- Herrera D, Alonso B, León R, Roldán S, Sans M. Antimicrobial therapy in periodontitis:the use of systemic antimicrobials againstthe subgingival biofilm. J Clin Periodont, 2008; 35:45-66. [Crossref]
- Kaner D, Chirstan C, Deitrich T, Bernimoulin JP, Kleber BM, Friedmann A. Timing affect the clinical outcome of adjunctive systemic antibiotic therapy for generalized aggressive periodontitis. J Periodontol, 2007; 78:1201-1208. [Crossref]
- Kulik EM, Lenkeit K, Chenaux S, Meyer J. Antimicrobial susceptibility of periodontopathogenic bacteria. J Antimicrob Chemothr, 2008; 61:1087-1091. [Crossref]
- Hodges K. Concepts in non-surgical periodontal therapy: Periodontal diagnosis and care planning. USA:Delmar, Thomson Learning; 1998.
- Subgingival air polishing. Available at: www.dentistryiq.com.
- Davis K. Biofilm removal with air polishing and subgingival air polishing. Available at: https://www.dentalacademyofce.com.
- American Academy of Periodontology Parametar on Aggressive Parodontitis. J Periodontol, 2000; 71: 867-868.
- D’Ercole S, Piccolomini R, Capaldo G, Catamo G. Perinetti G. Guida L. Effectivness of ultrasonic instruments in the therapy of severe periodontitis: a comparative clinical-microbiological assessment with curettes. New Microbiologica, 2006; 29:101-110.
- Newman M.G, Takei H.H, Carranza F.A. Carranza’s clinical periodontology, 9th. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Co; 2002
- Adjuvante Antibiotika in der Parodontitistherapie. Available at: http://www.dgzmk.de/uploads/tx_szdgzmkdocuments/Adjuvante_Antibiotika_in_der_Parodontitistherapie.pdf
- Coventry J, Griffiths G, Scully C, Tonetti M. Periodontal disease. ABC of oral health. BMJ 2000; 321:36-39.
- Marcenes W, Kassebaum NJ, Bernabé E, Flaxman A, Naghavi M, Lopez A, Murray CJ. Global burden of oral conditions in 1990-2010: a systematic analysis. J Dent Res, 2013;92:592-597. [Web of Science]
- Petersen PE, Bourgeois D, Ogawa H, Estupinan-Day S, Ndiaye C. The global burden of oral disease and risks to oral health. Bull World Health Organ, 2005; 83:661-669.
- Tomasi C, Bertelle A, Dellasega E, Wennström JL. Full-mouth ultrasonic debridement and risk of disease reccurrence: a 1-year follow-up. J Clin Periodontol, 2006;33:626-631. [Crossref]
- Aimetti M, Romano F, Guzzi N. Carnevale G. Fullmouth disinfection and systemic antimicrobial therapy in generalized aggressive periodontitis. J Clin Periodontol, 2012; 39:284-294. [Crossref]
- Wennström JL, Dahlén G, Ramberg P. Subgingival debridement of periodontal pockets by air polishing in comparison with ultrasonic instrumentation during maintenance therapy. J Clin Periodontol, 2011; 38:820-827. [Web of Science] [Crossref]
- Hägi TT, Hofmänner P, Salvi GE, Ramseier CA, Sculean A. Clinical outcomes following subgingival application of a novel erythritol powder by means of air polishing in supportive periodontal therapy: A randomized, controlled clinical study. Quintessence Int, 2013; 10:753-761.
- Haber J, Wattles J, Crowley M, Mandell R, Joshipura K, Kent RL. Evidence for cigarette smoking as a major risk factor for periodontitis. J Periodontol, 1993; 64:16-23. [Crossref]
- Genco RJ, Borgnakke WS. Risk factor for periodontal disease. Periodontol 2000, 2013; 62:59-94. [Web of Science] [Crossref]
- Darby IB, Hodge PJ, Riggio MP, Kinane DF. Microbial comparation of smoker and non smoker adult and earlyonset periodontitis patients by polymerase chain reaction. J Clin Periodontol, 2000; 27:417-424. [Crossref]
- Kamma JJ, Nakou M, Baehni PC. Clinical and microbiological characteristics of smokers with early onset periodontitis. J Periodontal Res, 1999; 34:25-33. [Crossref]
Citation Information: Balkan Journal of Dental Medicine. Volume 20, Issue 3, Pages 149–154, ISSN (Online) 2335-0245, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/bjdm-2016-0024, November 2016