Zoran Vlahović1 / Mirko Mikić2
1Faculty of Medicine, Department for Dentistry, University of Priština – Kosovska Mitrovica, Serbia
2Faculty of Medicine, Department for Dentistry, University of Montenegro, Montenegro
Background: Cone Beam Computer Tomography (CBCT) is representing a new concept of radiological diagnostics and its application occupies a special place in implantology. Today, preoperative planning, and quantitative and qualitative jaw bone analysis cannot be done without the use of these techniques. The latest in a series of achievements in this field is a method of making a guide for implant using a 3D printing technique. This way pre implantology planning reduces the chance of surgical complications to a minimum and allows installation of dental implants in the most optimal position for future prosthetic work. Aim: To show benefits of guide implantation in clinical practice.
Case report: The patient M.D. 36 years old. After making CBCT there was a qualitative and quantitative analysis of bone tissue, after which we decided to install five implants in positions #36, #37, #45, #46 and #47. The software appliance made virtually implants in the most optimal positions; treatment plan was forwarded by the internet connection into the DICOM format to Simplant Company, along with a folder of scanned plaster models in order to develop a guide. A few days later, after approval sent, we received the guide. Preparation by the pilot bur we did through transmucosal plum of the guide, and then we continued the classic flap surgery technique. Control footage shows the optimal position of the implant from both surgical and prosthetic aspects.
Conclusion: Application guide implantology represents a safe and modern method that provides ability of implant placement in optimal positions in terms of future prosthetic rehabilitation.
- Eggers G, Patellis E, Mühling J. Accuracy of template-based dental implant placement. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants, 2009; 24:447-454.
- Kopp KC, Koslow AH, Abdo OS. Predictable implant placement with a diagnostic/surgical template and advanced radiographic imaging. J Prosthet Dent, 2003; 89:611-615.[Crossref]
- Marković A, Mišić T. Implant Therapy in the Esthetic Zone – Surgical Considerations. Balk J Dent Med, 2016; 20(2):83-88.
- Ramasamy M, Giri R, Subramonian K, Narendrakumar R. Implant surgical guides: From the past to the present. Journal of Pharmacy & Bioallied Sciences, 2013; 5:S98-S102
- Vlahović Z, Marković A, Todorović A, Šćepanović M. Application of ‘SKY PLAN X’ system in the planning of implant placement with the terminal mutual loss of teeth of the upper jaw. PONS, 2010; 7(4):157-160.
- Gupta J, Parveez AS. Cone beam computed tomography in oral implants. Natl J Maxillofac Surg, 2013; 4:2-6.[Crossref]
- Jaju PP, Jaju SP. Clinical utility of dental cone-beam computed tomography: current perspectives. Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dentistry, 2014; 6:29-43.
- Cassetta M, Stefanelli LV, Giansanti M, Calasso S. Accuracy of implant placement with a stereolithographic surgical template. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants, 2012; 27:655-663.
- Geng W, Liu C, Su Y, Li J, Zhou Y. Accuracy of different types of computer-aided design/computer-aided manufacturing surgical guides for dental implant placement. Int J Clin Exp Med, 2015; 8:8442-8449.
- Nokar S, Moslehifard E, Bahman T, Bayanzadeh M, Nasirpouri F, Nokar A. Accuracy of implant placement using a CAD/CAM surgical guide: an in vitro study. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants, 2011; 26:520-526.
- Dandekeri SSL, Sowmya MK, Bhandary S. Stereolithographic surgical template: a review. J Clin Diagn Res, 2013; 7:2093-2095.
- Moon SY, Lee KR, Kim SG, Son MK. Clinical problems of computer-guided implant surgery. Maxillofac Plast Reconstr Surg, 2016; 38:15.[Crossref]
- Lin YK, Yau HT, Wang IC, Zheng C, Chung KH. A novel dental implant guided surgery based on integration of surgical template and augmented reality. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res, 2015; 17:543-553.[Web of Science] [Crossref]
- Cushen SE, Turkyilmaz I. Impact of operator experience on the accuracy of implant placement with stereolithographic surgical templates: an in vitro study. J Prosthet Dent, 2013; 109:248-254.[Web of Science] [Crossref]
- Valente F, Schiroli G, Sbrenna A. Accuracy of Computer-Aided Oral Implant Surgery: A Clinical and Radiographic Study. International Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Implants, 2009; 24:234-242.
- Papaspyridakos P, Lal K. Flapless implant placement: a technique to eliminate the need for a removable interim prosthesis. J Prosthet Dent, 2008; 100:232-235.[Web of Science] [Crossref]
- Beretta M, Poli PP, Maiorana C. Accuracy of computer-aided template-guided oral implant placement: a prospective clinical study. J Periodontal Implant Sci, 2014; 44:184-193.[Crossref] [Web of Science]
- Koshy E, Surathu N, Raj FS. Computer guided implant surgery: A clinical report. International Journal of Clinical Implant Dentistry, 2009; 1:23-29.
Citation Information: Balkan Journal of Dental Medicine. Volume 21, Issue 1, Pages 65–68, ISSN (Online) 2335-0245, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/bjdm-2017-0010, March 2017